Now Accepting Entries—Deadline Extended to Aug. 1, 2015
ENTER AMATEUR DIGITAL OR PRINT PHOTOS !!
Announcing the 2015 Ranch & Rural Living Photo Contest. With the power and ease of use of modern digital cameras, just about anybody can take exceptional photographs. Have you been on a photo safari in your back yard or on your ranch or farm? Well, if not, it's time to go on one. And since most digital cameras can hold hundreds or thousands of photos in memory until you transfer them to your computer, take PLENTY of photos. Then select your best photos and enter them in our annual photo contest. We will share your creativity and your work with viewers of this website and subscribers to Ranch & Rural Living magazine. Our annual photography competition accepts entries from any amateur photographer.
Winning photos will be published in our print magazine following the contest judging. Usually, winners are published in September and October issues of our magazine. Other entries may appear in the magazine from time to time as illustrations for articles, graphics for advertisements or cover scenes. We used many non winning entries in 2014 and early 2015 for covers.
Entry Fee: $8 per photo
Limit: 6 photos per person
Note: All photos will be judged by a professional photographer and by our magazine staff on a cumulative point basis. Judges will not know the identity of the photographer and will judge each entry on merit alone. Criteria will include composition, technical ability, creativity and compelling content. Youth photographers are encouraged to enter the Youth category and any other category in which they would like to compete
Animals & Nature
— 1st Prize $50
Photos of goats, sheep, horses, cows, trees, plants, flowers, wild animals, birds, poultry, dogs, fish, snakes, insects, etc.
Rural Life & Landscape
— 1st Prize $50
Ranch, farm, small town or rural settings, activities and scenes. Historical buildings, people enjoying themselves, farmers or ranchers at work, kids with goats, horseback riding, a teen and his car, the local hangout or chatter at the coffee shop. Be original.
— 1st Prize $50
Portraits, whether planned or spontaneous, of people. Your family, friends, children, famous people, politicians, old folks, new clothes, family gathering, unusual characters, etc., etc. This category can include photos of kids and animals -- kids showing goats, a girl with her puppy, kids and lambs, etc.
Youth – Open
— 1st Prize $50
Any photo taken by youths. Any subject. Photographer must be under 18 years of age.
1. Fee: $8 per photo entered. Limit six photos entered per person. No professional photographers, please. A professional is defined as one who makes a living or substantially supplements his/her income with photography. Employees and immediate family members of Ranch & Rural Living magazine are not eligible to enter the contest.
2. PRINTS in color or black and white must be 8"x10." Digital photos must be 1600 pixels wide or greater. DO NOT MOUNT PRINTS ON MAT BOARD. Just mail us your prints. Be sure to package carefully so photos will not be damaged in the mail. Digitals should be submitted on CD or may be uploaded via our website on our online ordering system.
3. All entries will be judged on a per category basis by a professional photographer, staff members of Ranch & Rural Living magazine and one or more guest judges. Judging will be based on subject, creativity and composition. Entries will be displayed to each judge without he/she knowing who entered what photo. Pictures and entry forms will be numbered upon receipt. The contest judge will not know who the winners are until the numbers are matched with entry forms after judging. Decision of the judges is final.
4. Submission of your photographs as a contestant grants Ranch & Rural Living Magazine rights to unlimited use of your photos in articles and advertisements on its two magazines, Ranch & Rural Living and Meat Goat Monthly News, and on its websites, ranchmagazine.com and meatgoatmonthlynews.com. Any person requesting external use of the photos for parties other than Ranch & Rural Living, Meat Goat Monthly News, ranchmagazine.com and meatgoatmonthlynews.com will be referred to the photographer.
5. Please include one entry blank with each photo submitted. Photos must be original works by the photographer listed on the entry form. If a child's photo is entered in the Youth section, the child's name needs to be on the entry blank. Note: Please notice on the entry blank a space is provided to include the title of the photo or a short descriptive phrase (or you may use a number or filename) so we can match photos with entry blanks.
July 1, 2015. EXTENDED TO AUG. 1, 2015. Please have your photos in by deadline. Early entry is fine. Photo judging will occur after entry deadline has passed. Deadline may be extended at the discretion of the editor.
7. All reasonable care will be taken in handling entries. Ranch & Rural Living Magazine cannot be held responsible for damage to or loss of photographs. Submission of entry constitutes entrant’s consent to and agreement with these rules. If you would like your prints back, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with proper postage to get the print back to you.
8. All pictures will be judged anonymously. Winners and non-winners alike will be notified of the outcome of the contest if an email address is supplied on the entry form, so INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, very legibly, on the entry blank. Good luck and thank you for participating!
If you cannot open the PDF file you may need to install Adobe Reader, which is available here free (click on free Adobe Reader, download and install on your computer). Complete one entry blank for each photo you are entering.
Send completed forms with photos(either as prints or on CD) and entry fees to:
Ranch & Rural Living
P.O. Box 2678
San Angelo, TX 76902